What is Facial Growth Orthodontics?
Facial growth orthodontics is a new approach to moving teeth to their proper position while also addressing jaw development issues and the problems they cause.
The treatment addresses problems such as:
What Causes Adverse Jaw and Face Growth and Misalignment?
If you experience bite misalignment or adverse jaw and facial growth, it’s likely because one of the following is not in place during the development and growth of the jaws:
- Lip seal
- Proper tongue posture
- Nasal breathing
If these three are not in place, it’s normal for imbalances and disharmonies in the craniofacial structure to take place and cause other problems.
How Facial Growth Orthodontics Works
First, facial growth orthodontics starts by addressing the big three: lip seal, nasal breathing and proper tongue posture. When one or more of these three are not in place, other problems result. During Phase 1, Dr. Firouzian will evaluate your case and determine if he needs to reestablish nasal breathing for you. If mouth breathing is common for you, he will complete a series of tests to determine the cause. With the results, Dr. Firouzian will decide which type of treatment is best for you.
After Dr. Firouzian treats your mouth breathing, he will then move into Phase 2 of your treatment. The first course of action is utilizing a technique known as facial development orthodontics. The treatment corrects the disharmonies that occur in your mouth when the big three are not in place. We use a growth guidance oral appliance to allow the top jaw to grow to its proper size and then we move the bottom jaw to its ideal physiologic bite position.
To complete the treatment, we use a device called an anterior growth guidance appliance (AGGA). In children, we use a removable appliance and in adults, we use a fixed appliance. Each appliance applies light pressure on the nasopalatine nerve – the nerve that runs through your palate.
The light pressure stimulates development and remodeling in the patient’s entire mid-face, primarily behind the canines.
Physical changes that may occur with treatment:
- Patients who originally had flat cheekbones will see those start to develop.
- Mouth breathers will begin to feel their nasal passageways more able to take more oxygen.
- Patients with a lack of neck (turkey neck) will achieve a better-defined jawline.
- Some patients may see a decrease in facial and smile lines as well as a full appearance in the cheeks and lips.
- Upturned noses may straighten. Patients will develop perfect straight teeth.
- The overall result of facial growth orthodontics is an improved appearance, perfectly aligned smile, and improvements in breathing, TMJ and more.
Once you complete Phase 2, you will move onto Phase 3. Phase 3 consists of using controlled arch orthodontics to preserve your newly straightened teeth and the new space in your mouth. Phase 3 ensures you retain your results for life.
Who’s a Good Candidate for Facial Growth Orthodontics?
Patients who experience one of the following can benefit from facial growth orthodontics:
- Suffer from TMJ symptoms
- Suffer from sleep apnea
- Have a narrow face and recessed chin
- Misaligned bite
- Mouth breather
- Told in the past that you need corrective jaw surgery
- Told you need tooth extractions for orthodontics
Are Facial Growth Orthodontics in Columbus, OH Right For You?
If you think you can benefit from facial growth orthodontics in Columbus, OH, don’t hesitate to contact Firouzian Dentistry to schedule a consultation with cosmetic dentist, Dr. Firouzian. Please call us at (614) 848-5001 or fill out our contact form to request an appointment.