How CEREC Works
First, we will prepare your tooth the same way as for other dental restorations. We make this preparation more comfortable with Anutra buffered anesthesia.
The we use high-resolution digital imaging to take pictures of your damaged tooth with the specially-designed CEREC camera. This will generate a 3D model of your tooth. CEREC’s Computer-Aided Design (CAD) technology then allows you and Dr. Firouzian to design the restoration on a computer monitor right at your chair!
Once the restoration has been designed, the CEREC system takes over, and begins to sculpt your new restoration out of a block of ceramic. A high-speed diamond-topped drill and disk work together to ensure that the restoration fits precisely into your existing tooth. We can even do some custom-staining to ensure that the color match with your natural teeth is perfect. We then use ultra-strong adhesive to bond the restoration to your tooth.
Benefits of CEREC
It is a great innovation in dentistry that allows us to offer our patients many benefits, including:
- Dental restorations in a single visit—no need to wait for lab-produced restorations
- All-ceramic restorations—no metal or plastic
- Ceramic restorations have the luster of natural teeth
- Flexible: can be used for porcelain veneers, ceramic fillings, dental bridges, and even dental crowns for dental implants
- Digital impressions mean no plaster or foam to bite into
- Restoration data is saved so replacements are even faster
- Color match can be as good or better than lab-made restorations
- CEREC restorations last as long as—or longer than—other options
Of course, CEREC isn’t always the best choice for making your restorations. For example, if you are looking for an entire set of porcelain veneers, it might be best to send your impressions off to a lab.
To learn more call us today at (614) 848-5001 to schedule an appointment with our Columbus, Ohio dentist. You can also email us.